[texbirds] Warblers and more at Tyler State Park 5-1-13

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 16:29:09 -0500

Howdy All!

=20

It was busy with warblers this morning in the right spots.  I have found
a nice bottom area down a firebreak that has had a singing Kentucky
Warbler the past two days.  That are also had Golden-winged,
Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow-throated Warbler,
American Redstart and Nashville.  The Spotted Towhee that wintered there
is still hanging around and also a female Eastern Towhee.  A late Swamp
Sparrow was skulking about.  There were Lincoln's Sparrows, Dickcissels,
Indigo and Painted Buntings, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Blue-headed Vireo
and three Wood Ducks that came up out of the tall grass and startled
yours truly. =20

=20

All six species of woodpecker made an appearance either by sight or by
sound.  If you ever wanted to see a Red-headed Woodpecker, now is the
time.  They are everywhere.  Down the Old Road Trail in the second
bottomland area were Yellow-billed Cuckoos a few more Grosbeaks and
three Baltimore Orioles. =20

=20

I am going to try to get out in the morning and check these areas again
and also see how the front is going to affect the birds.  I may go out
again on Friday.  If you would like to join me in the morning, you are
more than welcome.  I am going to get started at 8:30am and bird for an
hour or two.  If you come out just have the office staff contact me and
I'll be happy to meet you. =20

=20

May 1, 2013

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065)

Traveling

3 miles

120 Minutes

Observers: 1

All birds reported? Yes

Comments: =20

Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.5.1

3 Wood Duck

4 Black Vulture

5 Turkey Vulture

1 Cooper's Hawk

1 Red-shouldered Hawk

1 Red-tailed Hawk

1 Eurasian Collared-Dove

4 Mourning Dove

4 Yellow-billed Cuckoo

1 Chimney Swift

3 Ruby-throated Hummingbird

6 Red-headed Woodpecker

1 Red-bellied Woodpecker

1 Downy Woodpecker

1 Hairy Woodpecker

1 Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)

1 Pileated Woodpecker

4 Eastern Phoebe

1 Great Crested Flycatcher

5 Eastern Kingbird

1 Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

1 White-eyed Vireo

1 Blue-headed Vireo

6 Red-eyed Vireo

6 Blue Jay

5 American Crow

2 Purple Martin

1 Barn Swallow

2 Carolina Chickadee

3 Tufted Titmouse

2 White-breasted Nuthatch

2 Brown-headed Nuthatch

6 Carolina Wren

5 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

2 Eastern Bluebird

2 Gray Catbird

1 Northern Mockingbird

1 Brown Thrasher

5 Cedar Waxwing

1 Golden-winged Warbler

1 Nashville Warbler

1 Northern Parula

2 Chestnut-sided Warbler

4 Magnolia Warbler

1 Yellow-throated Warbler

7 Pine Warbler

1 Black-and-white Warbler

1 American Redstart

1 Kentucky Warbler

1 Common Yellowthroat

1 Spotted Towhee=20

1 Eastern Towhee

3 Lincoln's Sparrow

1 Swamp Sparrow=20

2 Summer Tanager

7 Northern Cardinal

4 Rose-breasted Grosbeak

5 Indigo Bunting

2 Painted Bunting

3 Dickcissel

10 Red-winged Blackbird

2 Brown-headed Cowbird

3 Baltimore Oriole

7 Pine Siskin

=20

=20

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

=20

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

=20

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>=20

=20

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

=20

=20

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >