[texbirds] Walburg (Williamson Co.) Breeding Bird Survey 5/27/12

  • From: Tim Fennell <tfennell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 16:56:29 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders,

This morning I ran the Walburg Breeding Bird Survey which starts just east of
Georgetown and continues to the east, ending a few miles southeast of Granger
Lake. Today's survey produced 57 species (the second highest total since the
route was first run in 1980, with the highest total ever being 60 and the
lowest 32 species).

Highlights included:
Green vegetation after last year's drought!
Booming nighthawks throughout the first half of the route.
Seven Horned Larks (singletons have only been recorded in a handful of years).
Nesting Tree Swallows (New for the route. Luckily stop 39 was at the utility
pole in which they were nesting. Photographed. Even though they have been
nesting in snags and utility poles for nearly10 years along the shores of
Granger Lake, it was bizarre to see this nest in the middle of more upland,
open cotton and corn fields).
Mississippi Kite (Another new species for the route. Could have been a late
migrant but, considering nesting in Round Rock, this may be one I see more
often in the future).

Cheers,
Tim Fennell
Round Rock, Texas (15 miles north of Austin)
Travis Audubon Society