[texbirds] Very Late Wilson's Snipe

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 16:39:24 -0700 (PDT)

TexBirders,
Got my first ever look at the TNC's Mad Island Marsh Preserve today thanks to
Charlie Brower who arranged special access for us.  The most surprising bird of
the day was undoubtedly a Wilson's Snipe.  It flushed up from the mud, called
and gave us some great views before settling back into the marsh.  My latest
ever by over a month!  Know of a June 19th record from Waller County so it is
not unprecedented.

Other notable birds today included Wood Storks (6 at Mad Island and 3 at Tejano
Wetlands in LaWard), Whimbrel (2 at Matagorda), Stilt Sandpiper (2 at Mad
Island), Semipalmated Sandpiper (2 at Mad Island), Hudsonian Godwit (1 at San
Bernard), Brown-crested Flycatcher (2 at Matagorda), Couch's Kingbird (2 at Bay
City's LeTulle Park - present for a month and likely nesting) and Long-billed
Thrasher (1 at Matagorda).

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson