[texbirds] VNC Trip to Laguna Atascosa

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 21:25:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Not surprisingly, we had a small crowd for the VNC trip to Laguna Atascosa
today:  we had folks from Mission, Alamo, and North McAllen all descending
upon Combes to meet, and we all had to "punch the core" of this surprise
system  that came up out of nowhere!  Lord knows we need the rain, but what a
deluge!!  Joining myself, Pat, and Marie for the first time was Steve Davis
 from Mission, so the four of us piled in Bippy and headed over to the
refuge.

It was still dripping a bit by the time we got to General Brandt Road, but
had let up enough to get Marie her life Botteri's Sparrow singing on a
wire!  Other highlights along this stretch included a White-tailed Kite and  a
Least Bittern at the canal that only Marie saw.  We stopped at the resaca
and found a small group of White-rumped Sandpipers, so that was  worthwhile!
Another bare patch had a mob of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks  and Laughing
Gulls.

We saw the monster storm heading our way, and sure enough, we drove through
 the rain for the most part along the wildlife drive, but it would let up
here  and there enough for us to get out and listen; had more Botteri's
Sparrows in  addition to a skylarking Cassin's, and a nice pair of Spoonbills
along the  Laguna Madre.  One patch of water had several Dunlin and a Wilson's
Plover.  We also had two nighthawks that were feeding low over the road,
almost at eye level at times:  the position of the white patch on one
definitely looked like Common, but the other one had a patch that was very
close
to the tip, suggesting Lesser (and was buffy to boot); anyone know anything
about both species feeding together??  A very wet Caracara provided comedy
relief at one point, and the usual Valley fare was back at the Visitor's
Center.  I was surprised by a very large Alligator along the Kiskadee  Trail,
and a couple of Anis showed off as well.

Ended the morning with 79 species for the day (and the rest of the gang had
 some things I didn't log...)!Photos and one recording are here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/May/Laguna%20At
ascosa.html

Bird List:

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Mottled  Duck                           Anas fulvigula
Blue-winged  Teal                       Anas discors
Plain  Chachalaca                       Ortalis vetula
Northern  Bobwhite                      Colinus virginianus
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Little Blue  Heron                      Egretta caerulea
Tricolored  Heron                       Egretta tricolor
Reddish  Egret                          Egretta rufescens
White  Ibis                             Eudocimus albus
White-faced  Ibis                       Plegadis chihi
Roseate  Spoonbill                      Platalea ajaja
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Osprey                                 Pandion haliaetus
White-tailed  Kite                      Elanus leucurus
Harris's  Hawk                          Parabuteo unicinctus
White-tailed  Hawk                      Geranoaetus albicaudatus
American  Coot                          Fulica americana
Black-bellied  Plover                   Pluvialis squatarola
Wilson's  Plover                        Charadrius wilsonia
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
Greater  Yellowlegs                     Tringa melanoleuca
Willet                                 Tringa semipalmata
Ruddy  Turnstone                        Arenaria interpres
White-rumped  Sandpiper                 Calidris fuscicollis
Dunlin                                 Calidris alpina
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Least  Tern                             Sternula antillarum
Gull-billed  Tern                       Gelochelidon nilotica
Caspian  Tern                           Hydroprogne caspia
Black  Tern                             Chlidonias niger
Forster's  Tern                         Sterna forsteri
Royal  Tern                             Thalasseus maximus
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Common  Ground-Dove                     Columbina passerina
White-tipped  Dove                      Leptotila verreauxi
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Greater  Roadrunner                     Geococcyx californianus
Groove-billed  Ani                      Crotophaga sulcirostris
Lesser  Nighthawk                       Chordeiles acutipennis
Common  Nighthawk                       Chordeiles minor
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker               Picoides scalaris
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Western  Kingbird                       Tyrannus verticalis
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Green  Jay                              Cyanocorax yncas
Bank  Swallow                           Riparia riparia
Barn  Swallow                           Hirundo rustica
Cave  Swallow                           Petrochelidon fulva
Black-crested  Titmouse                 Baeolophus atricristatus
Verdin                                 Auriparus flaviceps
Bewick's  Wren                          Thryomanes bewickii
Cactus  Wren                            Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
Long-billed  Thrasher                   Toxostoma longirostre
Curve-billed  Thrasher                  Toxostoma curvirostre
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
Olive  Sparrow                          Arremonops rufivirgatus
Botteri's  Sparrow                      Peucaea botterii
Cassin's  Sparrow                       Peucaea cassinii
Lark  Sparrow                           Chondestes grammacus
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Blue  Grosbeak                          Passerina caerulea
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern  Meadowlark                     Sturnella magna
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Bronzed  Cowbird                        Molothrus aeneus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
79 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)