[texbirds] VNC Field Trip to Laguna Atascosa

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 20:09:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Valley Nature Center's May field trip next Saturday (the 25th) will be to
Laguna Atascosa NWR.  We're hoping that the recent rains may have
encouraged some shorebird activity (White-rumped Sandpiper is a hoped for--but
not
guaranteed--target).  This is one of those "who knows what will show  up"
places; I've had such tasty species as Hudsonian Godwit, Magnificent
Frigatebird, Aplomado Falcon, and Botteri's Sparrow in the past, but these are
only
possibilities.  Valley standbys at the feeders, nice raptors  (White-tailed
Hawk, Caracara), and expected Laguna Madre regulars like Reddish  Egret are
more expected; Valley breeders such as Groove-billed Anis and Wilson's
Plovers should be in as well.

Meet at the Stripes in Combes (US 77 and SR 107, north of Harlingen) at
7:00.  Cost is $5.00 per person, and all proceeds go to sponsoring a school
field trip to the VNC.  Please note that unless you have an annual pass,
there is also a nominal fee to enter the refuge.

See you there!

MB
Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX