[texbirds] Update: Bexar County Ruddy Ground-Dove

  • From: "Erik Huebner" <ehuebner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 11:53:54 -0500

Texbirders,

Apologies for the earlier brief and multiple posts, I had some issues
emailing from my phone and accidentally sent one ot the old listserve
address. Just wanted to provide an update on the Bexar County Ruddy
Ground-Dove, that was discovered Friday at Cresent Bend Nature Park near
Schertz/Cibolo. I arrived there this morning at about 9:20 AM. At about
9:30, I found the bird at the intersection of Omar and Bluegill streets. It
was on the ground with two Inca Doves, who were harassing it. It
subsequently flushed to a nearby tree, soon after going into brief hiding.
It reappeared on Bluegill, which is very overgrown with ragweed. When I left
at 9:50 AM, folks were still seeing it intermittently, as it foraged in and
out of the ground cover on Bluegill. Please note that Omar Street is a clear
thoroughfare, but Bluegill and other intersecting streets are not clear, but
are abandoned and rather overgrown. About a dozen birders observed the dove
while I was there. If you are looking for it, you might try here first, or
look for a crowd.

Erik Huebner
Austin