[texbirds] Union Grove WMA, Stillhouse Hollow Lake, Bell Co. 3/11/14 - Red-throated Loon yes, Red-necked Grebe no

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:16:09 -0700 (PDT)

I happened to be in the area, so I stopped by Union Grove Wildlife Management
Area at Stillhouse Hollow Lake (Bell Co.) on 3/11/14.  I basically hung a left
at the first parking area past the locked gate and headed north to the
shoreline, then proceeded to walk the shoreline around to the old east-west
road bed.  Nice walk, but the best viewing was from where the old road bed
enters the lake.  Highlights were the Red-throated Loon, as well as goos
numbers of Common Loons and Horned Grebes (in every plumage from winter to
close to full breeding).  It could be possible that the Red-necked Grebe is
still present, but there is a lot of lake out towards the dam with coots and
other waterbirds floating around that is not really viewable, even with a
scope, from Union Grove WMA.

Gadwall  2
American Wigeon  3
Northern Shoveler  3