[texbirds] Re: Unethical behavior needs to be exposed

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 12:05:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi Tom,

First I am with you and share your feelings. But there is the other side -
the law. I am not sure if the law is strict about baiting owls - how come
there  are so many bird photography tours were guide baits owls for you - big
business.  If you check the internet there are literally thousands of
photos that show owls  being baited. It would be very few interesting owl
photos
if this practice was  not allowed. Look how many baited owl photos win in
big photo contests or are  indeed in magazines.  Not long ago hordes of Bald
Eagles in Alaska were  still baited for business. I think you could easy find
job to be a thrower then  for all these photographers coming there. How
about hunting - your heart might  be bleeding (perhaps not if you like venison)
but it is legal, so is fishing.  Fishes should have the same right as
birds, tell me why not. How about backyard  feeders - how these is different -
why won't you call it baiting? What about  using tape to call birds - except
that they get nothing for it you ‘bait’ them  to show up and pose for you
whoever you are, birder or photographer. List can go  on and on. Some people I
know are against ‘baiting‘ rodents, insects etc. They  are all animals
some even mammals like you and me. So, as we are living in  civilized place
(certainly I hope so) we have to follow law and before I really  would accused
somebody publicly about wrongdoing I would check the law first.  BTW I am
interested to learn what law says about baiting owls. I am sure it is  not
allowed in National Parks, Wildlife Refuges, State Parks etc but what about  in
general?

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_