[texbirds] Tyler State Park 12-14-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 12:09:57 -0600

Howdy All!

=20

Very birdy this morning at the park.  The best places to bird were the
firebreak heading south across from the turn off to the south side
day-use area, the south side day-use area, and the Blackjack nature
trail.  The firebreak had a couple of Spotted Towhee along with a couple
of Eastern Towhee.  One of the Spotteds was the first female that I have
seen this year. This area is also a good spot to look for American
Woodcock.  The south side day-use parking area was full of Pine
Warblers, Eastern Bluebirds, Am. Goldfinches, Pine Siskins, and
Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets.  The floating pier in this
area is a good place to see what is on the lake.  There were the usual
Ruddys and Ring-necks but a few Lesser and Greater Scaup are hanging out
on the lake. =20

=20

The busiest place of the day was definitely the Blackjack nature trail.
Lots of Robins, Juncos, White-throated Sparrows, and Chipping Sparrows.
The other birds up there were Fox Sparrow, Field Sparrow, Song Sparrow,
Goldfinch, House and Winter Wren. =20

=20

Come on out tomorrow for our bird tour.  We'll meet at 8am at the front
office and check out these areas again.

=20

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Dec 14, 2012 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

54 species

=20

Mallard  8

Ring-necked Duck  9

Greater Scaup  3

Lesser Scaup  5

Ruddy Duck  15

Pied-billed Grebe  12

Great Egret  1

Black Vulture  9

Turkey Vulture  14

Sharp-shinned Hawk  1

American Coot  20

Killdeer  1

Ring-billed Gull  1

Mourning Dove  30

Red-bellied Woodpecker  3

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3

Downy Woodpecker  5

Hairy Woodpecker  1

Northern Flicker  1

Pileated Woodpecker  2

Eastern Phoebe  1

Blue Jay  4

American Crow  12

Carolina Chickadee  8

Tufted Titmouse  7

Red-breasted Nuthatch  3

White-breasted Nuthatch  2

Brown-headed Nuthatch  6

Brown Creeper  3

House Wren  1

Winter Wren  1

Carolina Wren  1

Golden-crowned Kinglet  3

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3

Eastern Bluebird  10

Hermit Thrush  1

American Robin  200

Northern Mockingbird  1

Cedar Waxwing  15

Pine Warbler  20

Yellow-rumped Warbler  26

Spotted Towhee  2

Eastern Towhee  3

Chipping Sparrow  40

Field Sparrow  9

Fox Sparrow  6

Song Sparrow  5

Swamp Sparrow  1

White-throated Sparrow  100

Dark-eyed Junco  150

Northern Cardinal  7

Red-winged Blackbird  14

Pine Siskin  5

American Goldfinch  30

=20

=20

Good birding, =20

=20

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

=20

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

=20

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>=20

=20

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

=20

=20

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >