[texbirds] Tyler State Park 10-12-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:09:21 -0500

Howdy All!

It was a good morning for scouting for tomorrow's bird tour.  It was a
good morning.  I started at the lake trail at Hickory Hollow camping
area at the beaver pond.  That area was a little slow unless you like
Turkey Vultures.  There were a couple of Red-breasted Nuthatches in
there too.  The place to be was the firebreak by the Southside Day-use
turnoff.  That area had Lincoln's sparrow, Northern Parula (a couple of
imm. females), Northern Flickers, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Nashville
Warblers, Orange-crowned Warblers, Eastern Towhee, Winter Wren, House
Wren, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Chipping Sparrow.

The Blackjack Nature trail had Red-breasted Nuthatch, 3 Northern
Rough-winged Swallows, and a Winter Wren.  I also had what appeared to
be a Black Swift there too.  I can't 100%, but it did appear larger with
longer, more "sickle" shaped wings.  It also did not have the pale
breast and throat of a Chimney Swift.  I couldn't tell if the tail
appeared notched at all.  I am not going to put this on any of my lists,
but if you're in this area keep an eye to the sky.

The lake has several Pied-billed Grebes hanging out and the area around
the boat ramp parking lot and the playground are busy right now, too.
Come on out tomorrow, Saturday, October 13 at 8am and we'll go birding.
We'll meet at the park's hq and had into the park.

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Oct 12, 2012 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

40 species

Pied-billed Grebe  14

Great Egret  1

Green Heron  1

Black Vulture  2

Turkey Vulture  18

American Coot  1

Killdeer  4

Mourning Dove  9

Belted Kingfisher  2

Red-bellied Woodpecker  4

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3

Downy Woodpecker  3

Northern Flicker  6

Pileated Woodpecker  2

Eastern Phoebe  4

Blue Jay  20

American Crow  7

Northern Rough-winged Swallow  3

Carolina Chickadee  20

Tufted Titmouse  14

Red-breasted Nuthatch  6

White-breasted Nuthatch  3

Brown-headed Nuthatch  12

House Wren  3

Winter Wren  2

Carolina Wren  6

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  7

Eastern Bluebird  2

Northern Mockingbird  3

Brown Thrasher  6

Orange-crowned Warbler  1

Nashville Warbler  7

Northern Parula  2

Pine Warbler  20

Eastern Towhee  1

Chipping Sparrow  1

Lincoln's Sparrow  3

Northern Cardinal  15

Indigo Bunting  6

Good birding,

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >

PNG image