[texbirds] Tyler SP 5-15-21

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 11:28:56 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Howdy All!

Apologies for long time no posting.  However, migration has been rocking here
at Tyler SP.  Back on Tuesday we had a great day foe warblers and vireos.  I
picked up my first Bell's Vireo for the park list and also several Wilson's
Warbler, also new for the list.

The park store area is ripe with breeding flycatchers, martins, barn swallows
and a pair of yellow warblers.  Magnolia Warblers and redstarts have been here
the past few days in large numbers.  Other warblers have been Black-throated
Green, N. Parula, N. Waterthrush, Bay-breasted, and Chestnut-sided.  That's
just a few of them.  Vireos are here too with Warbling, Philidaelphia,
Yellow-throated, and Bell's.  I just got a report from my brother that a huge
number of Bell's was at the dam this morning.

Other birds of note are a Blue Grosbeak juvenile has been singing the past
several days at the Blackjack Nature trail.  He has a blue head but the rest
him is that dull brown.

Oooh... I almost forgot about the Black-billed Cuckoo that we had near the
Hickory Hollow camping loop.  Had great looks when it would be still enough to
look at it.

I am going to try to get out and see what is moving in the morning, Friday May,
18 to scout out for Saturdays program.  If any one would like to tag along you
are more than welcome. I am going to start at 8:30am and go for about two
hours.  If you cannot make it for Friday, then come to the 8am program on
Saturday and bird with us.

eBird below.

Good Birding,

Boyd Sanders
Interpreter/Exhibit Tech
Tyler State Park
(903)597-5338

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX
May 15, 2012 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
67 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard (Domestic type)  3
Little Blue Heron  1
Black Vulture  3
Turkey Vulture  10
Mississippi Kite  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  2
Black-billed Cuckoo  1
Chimney Swift  3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  5
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Eastern Kingbird  2
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  3
White-eyed Vireo  6
Bell's Vireo  2
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo  1
Philadelphia Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  6
Blue Jay  10
American Crow  6
Purple Martin  16
Barn Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  14
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown-headed Nuthatch  5
Carolina Wren  8
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Eastern Bluebird  6
Swainson's Thrush  1
Gray Catbird  1
Northern Mockingbird  6
Brown Thrasher  1
Louisiana Waterthrush  1
Northern Waterthrush  1
Black-and-white Warbler  4
Tennessee Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  2
American Redstart  14
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  9
Bay-breasted Warbler  3
Yellow Warbler  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  10
Black-throated Green Warbler  10
Wilson's Warbler  6     Counted six individuals in a small area under "fallout"
type conditions.  Numerous species of warbler at this location.  4 adult males
and 2 females or young males.
Summer Tanager  9
Northern Cardinal  20
Blue Grosbeak  1