[texbirds] Tundra Swan - Yes - Heart of the Hills

  • From: Jay Packer <jay@xxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 11:48:49 -0600

My wife and I just stopped by the Heart of the Hills Fish Hatchery near
Mountain Home Texas. We had the Tundra Swan. The bird is an immature / 1st
winter. All of the field marks except one looks good for Tundra Swan. The
only abnormality was the angle of the feathers between the eyes above the
bill. They definitely formed a sharp V, more like Trumpeter is depicted in
the Sibley guide.
The bird was very easy to see in the ponds near the main offices where you
check-in. The hatchery is only open to the public from 8 to 5 PM Monday
through Friday.

--
Jay Packer
(sent from my phone)