[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR and refuge lockdown.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:10:13 -0500

On an abbreviated tour our group found 54 species.  We were treated to a
juvenile Bald Eagle at the Goode area. Off the end of Plover there were approx.
2000 American White Pelicans.  Shorebird
habitat is improving with sightings of American Avocets, Greater and Lesser
Yellowlegs, Least, Pectoral, Stilt, and Western Sandpipers, and Long-billed
Dowitchers. We found a House Wren at Goode.
The bad news is that the refuge is now locked down because of the government
shutdown.  All roads are barricaded,
even the main road thru the refuge.
Jack Chiles, Texas master Naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR