[texbirds] Tropical Parula at Edinburg Scenic Wetlands

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:58:37 -0500

For those that don't Texbird on Facebook, Javi (naturalist educator) found
a Tropical Parula this morning at the Edinburg World Birding Center.
I got over pretty promptly and we both saw the bird again - it definitely
looked "different" than Northern Parula. The shots I got of it are poor,
but they are pretty diagnostic for TRPA. I was a little confused by the
slight white that showed up around the eye (thought possibly hybrid or
slightly oddly marked TRPA at that point), but the ID was well explained by
Mary G.

I look for - extent of yellow on the belly; much greater in Tropical -
Check! Crescent on chest - absent in Tropical - Check! White eye crescents
or broken eye ring - absent in Tropical - Check! Looks good to me! I see
nothing Northern or hybrid in this bird.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7374/10024186234_ebcf334041.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2810/10024244016_874717bbef.jpg

--
John Brush