[texbirds] Trinidad and Cedar Creek Reservoir, Henderson County, today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 20:03:14 -0500

The Tyler Audubon Society had a field trip this morning, visiting the
Trinidad power plant lake and FM 1667, and parts of Cedar Creek Reservoir
in Henderson County. We had a good variety of large wading birds, including
2 Tricolored Herons, 30 White and 12 Plegadis Ibis, and 30 Wood Storks. The
Trinidad power plant lake had 7 duck species, including an early Ruddy
Duck, 2 Northern Pintail and approximately 500 Blue-winged Teal. We had 7
Solitary Sandpipers in various locations, and 4 distant Stilt Sandpipers, a
Caspian Tern and a Black Tern at the power plant lake. We were surprised to
see 26 White-winged Doves along FM 1667, as well as 20 Cave Swallows.
Approximately 120 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers were staging near the Dairy
Queen in Trinidad, and a lingering Eastern Kingbird was near the Trinidad
power plant lake.

Peter Barnes
Tyler