[texbirds] This morning at Highland Mall - Austin

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 08:44:00 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I awakened quite unintentionally at about 5:30 this morning, and since I was
awake and it's a short drive decided to see what the morning departure of the
Purple Martins would be like. It is as impressive as the return in the evening.
In fact, it is amazing how many birds can leave from so few trees. When I got
there, it was still quite dark, but there was much activity. I suspect there's
a good bit of stirring throughout the night with movement of fairly large
groups of birds from tree to tree almost constant. It certainly was that way
until the dawn, and then they started to leave in vast waves. But even though
many would leave, their numbers in the trees didn't really seem to diminish
until near the end. One indication, however, was the sound, which gradually
faded into almost silence.

I found it stirring in a way that I could witness one of nature's real
spectacles in an empty mall parking lot.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com