[texbirds] This and that in Austin (local interest)

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:41:31 -0500

My long-staying Rufous/Allen's type adult female is still around. I was out
of town for several days centered on last weekend and I figured it would be
gone when I returned. At first it seemed so with a couple of days of
absence at the feeder. Then yesterday I saw it in a nearby tree and today
it was feeding as normal. It is recognizable as an individual by the
pattern of partial gorget spots. Also today (Sunday St. Patrick's Day) saw
a dapper fresh American Robin feeding on the lawn in the territory that one
of four pair that nested in the neighborhood used last summer. I expect
that within a week or so the neighborhood (between 29th and Windsor Rd. in
the wooded 8 or 10 blocks that lie above Shoal Creek [not the street])
Broad-winged Hawks will be around. The first big Broad-winged flocks
usually show up in the Valley about March 24-26 and as with almost all
spring migrants the first birds on the scene are the local breeders.
A pleasant morning yesterday at St Edward's Park on Spicewood Springs Road.
Nothing special except a snappy male Nashville Warbler, a singing male
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and any number of singing White-eyed Vireos plus one
possible distant Golden-cheeked Warbler singing from the top of the cliff
along Bull Creek. A Common Raven flew over Loop 360 not too far from Wild
Basin.
jca

John C. Arvin
Research Associate