[texbirds] The Sixth Visit to the Canyon Lakes - 2012 Game

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 09:51:19 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I spent eight hours along the Canyon Lakes of Lubbock on Saturday, 5 January
2013 - a very late finish to my 2012 game as December afforded on opportunities
for me to get to the lakes.  I wandered along the lakes from Buddy Holly Park
down to just below the spillway at Lake Six.  I could go no further as river
access has been closed from a point just below the first trestle on down.

Conditions were pleasant throughout the day:
 cool enough for a sweater in the morning and perfect t-shirt weather in
 the afternoon with breezes not all that terrible.

Over
 the course of the day, I tallied 2
species of butterfly, 0 species of amphibian, 0 species of reptile, 74 species
of bird, and 4 species of mammal.  The Canyon
Lakes
are now up to 36 species of butterfly, 1 species of amphibian, 10
species of reptile, 171 species of bird, and 12 species of mammal -
surprisingly even with Hale County with its 39 species of butterfly, 3
species of amphibian, 9 species of reptile, 162 species of bird, and 12
species of mammal.  This brings me up to 72% of my goal of 50
species of
butterfly, 13% of the way towards my goal of 8 species of amphibian, 67%

of my goal of 15 species of reptile, 114% of my goal of 150 species of
bird, and 80% of my goal of 15 species of mammal for the lakes.

The day's list (with new additions to the Canyon Lakes of Lubbock list *sked)

1 Sleepy Orange

2 Greater White-fronted Geese*
247 Cackling Geese
834 Canada Geese