[texbirds] The Rare Birds of North America, a great new book for Texas birders

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 14:33:30 -0500 (EST)

There are certain books that serious Texas Birders need to have in their
library.  I think the three most important are the Sibley and National
Geographic Guides and the TOS Handbook of Texas Birds.  These are the three I
use the most.  While ordering the new TOS Handbook, I saw an advertisement for
The Rare Birds of North America by Steve Howell, Ian Lewington and Will
Russell.  I went ahead and bought it because I knew anything done by Steve
Howell would be great and I wanted to see how they would treat a certain
austral flycatcher that is dear to my heart.  This might be a fourth important
book for Texas birders.

Anyway it arrived a few days ago and I am really impressed.  The book begins
with a discussion of vocabulary and of rare birds in general, followed by a lot
of neat theory about migration and vagrancy in birds and a good section on
topography, molt and aging.  The remaining 90% of the book discusses 262
species of rare birds found across the North American continent.  Of course
this is important to Texas birders as close to a quarter of these have been
seen in Texas and many of the others could possible show up some day.  Each
species is illustrated with several fine paintings and similar species like
Greater and Lesser Sandplovers, Green and Solitary Sandpipers, various stints
and peeps are illustrated together.  Specific records are listed for the more
rare species and each species has an interesting commentary about the records
and future possibilities of sightings.  Each of the species also has a detailed
description of plumage, habitat and behavior.

The rare Texas birds range from one time records like Bare-throated Tiger Heron
and Double-striped Thick-knee to more common rarities like Masked Duck, Blue
Bunting and Crimson-collared Grosbeak.  They are all discussed in much more
detail than is possible by the TOS Handbook.  Of course many of the Asiatic or
European strays may not get down here but there no reason Texas can't have a
Long-billed Murrelet or a Gray-hooded Gull.

So anyway, I'm learning a lot from this book and it certainly makes a good
reference work for rare things that may show up in our state.  I think most
serious Texas birders would feel the same.  Here's a link to the Princeton
University Press page.  http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10101.html

Dan Jones, Weslaco