[texbirds] The Cormorant Express and my 101st Yard Bird - Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 18:10:24 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

I got back from work at about 7:15 this evening and immediately set to spot
watering some of the few flowering plants left by the ongoing drought.  Shortly
after I started a cluster of 5 Double-crested Cormorants flew over - possibly
on their way from Maxey Park to the evening roost at Leroy Elmore Park.  Not
too shabby : a bird I have seen over my yard before but not all that often.
Shortly thereafter - at about 7:35 - three more cormorants flew over, heading
in the same direction, and this group contained 1 Neotropic Cormorant.  This is
the first time I have seen the species from my yard and, by my judgement, the
group occupied my airspace long enough to make Neotropic Cormorant my 101st
yard species.

I strongly suspect that this is the same bird that has been seen at various
nearby playas/parks during the last several weeks and am quite glad that the
urge to at least get a little yard work done today paid off.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock