[texbirds] The Big Run - The Most Extreme of Birding Challenges

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 15:13:10 -0800 (PST)

TexBirders,

In my never ending quest to combine hobbies, have fun and save time I created a
new birding game for myself.  It started out innocently enough with me trying
to get my weekly "boring long run" for marathon training in.  Left the house at
0630 and returned 16 miles and 2.5 hours later having tallied 52 species while
on the run.  It is very different from a normal Big Day in that while running
binoculars are useless and any small bird almost has to be done with calls or
song.  Got a great dawn start on a paved path near the Brazos River with
calling thrashers, thrushes and catbirds before the sun rose.  Best birds given
the challenges of running (no stopping or walking to get a better look) were
Bald Eagle, Wilson's Warbler and Lincoln's Sparrow.  Misses included Mourning
Dove and White-winged Dove.  Full list below.  Best part was the formally
boring run was seemingly over in no time.

But, I think tomorrow I will use the car and walk instead.

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson