[texbirds] Thayer's Gull in Iowa Park

  • From: Sheridan Coffey <sngcanary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:41:43 -0600

Dear all,
This afternoon Martin and I stopped at Iowa Park Lake, which is in Iowa Park
(big surprise there), west of Wichita Falls. We re-found the Thayer's Gull,
originally found by Greg Cook, Ed Wetzel and Steve Glover on November 24.

When we arrived we scanned the 70+ gulls. We did not see the Thayer's
initially, but did see four Herring Gulls. A group of about half a dozen Hooded
Mergansers were napping off of the opposite shore.

We decided that the Thayer's was a lost cause. As we walked back to the car, a
group of gulls circled over our heads. A large gull caught our eyes. It was the
Thayer's. It wheeled around, and left, along with a number of Ring-billed Gulls.

Sheridan Coffey
San Antonio

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at