[texbirds] Thank you, Houston birders

  • From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:45:01 -0700

I'd like to thank you Texas birders for your generosity during my week in
Houston, especially Gene Prejean, Cliff Peterson, and Ed Hunter, who showed me
a bunch of really neat birds.  Besides all of the birds, I got a life mammal at
the Eldridge Retention Basin: an American Beaver.  I swear he was the size of
my Basset Hound.  Best of all, I saw American Alligator in the wild.  I suppose
for most residents of the Gulf Coast alligators are boring, but I was thrilled
to see them in the wild.  It blows my mind that you guys live in a city
(Houston) that big, and have alligators that just hang out and do their thing.
But then again, we have bears and mountain lions in Los Angeles that show up in
peoples' swimming pools.
Thank you to everybody else who gave me birding tips and locations.
One last request.  What do you think of this grackle that I photographed on the
jetty in Freeport, Friday?  Great-tailed or Boat-tailed? See:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92222297@N07/
The eye seemed really dark and opaque in person, but looks a lot yellower in
the photos.  Head shape pushes me toward Great-tailed, which is too bad,
because Boat-tailed would (have been) a life bird.

Tom

Thomas Geza Miko,

B.Sc. Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Radiaton & Lab Safety

653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., unit C

Claremont, CA 91711
U.S.A.

Home: 909.445.1456