[texbirds] Take a deep breath, this may be a winter season to remember.

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:26:15 +0000

Dear chasers and Texbirders,
The Aztec Thrush may well be a case of mistaken identity. E-bird sightings on
the rare bird report are unfiltered. There is almost a bogus report daily. You
need to look at the actual list and see what information was included with the
sighting. If it's a rare bird with no support, it is likely someone's learning
experience. The sighting will not become part of the e-bird database but will
still exist as a record and the owner of the sighting still has it on their
list. Making mistakes are how new birders learn birds. Be patient and help them
when you can, they may well discover a rare bird for you someday.

Moving on. Thanks to regular reports of local birds across the state one can
read on Texbirds I believe it is shaping up as an extraordinary year. El Paso
has had an influx of jays, first Western Scrub Jays and now Stellar's. They
also have Broad-billed Hummingbirds that may be setting up shop for the winter.

The Valley has perhaps more Tropical Parulas than normal, two Painted
Redstarts, at least one of which has hung around for much longer than a typical
migrant and a Golden-crowned Warbler that may winter. There has already been a
good report of a Rufous-backed Robin.

Townsend's Solitaire seemed to be early and in above average numbers in the
Panhandle.

Smith Point Hawkwatch has had a Pine Siskin.

It would seem that something is going on in the highlands that might move birds
that normally utilize the highlands in Mexico as winter grounds to disperse
more widely.  As happened in 2005. If that is the case, we may see some birds
in the Trans-Pecos and the Valley that we have not seen in Texas in many years.
These are good candidates: Hartlaub Warbler, Coppery-tailed Trogon, Mexican
Ptilogonys, Swainson Tanager, and Wagler Oriole.

Heck, this may be the year we even add a new Mexican species to the Texas list.

Keep your powder dry, I suspect we will all be pulling a few triggers this
winter.

P.S. You might want to consult an old Mexican field guide, maybe one without
color plates.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center