[texbirds] TX-48 boat launch: Shorebirds and more

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 23:20:45 -0600

Late this afternoon, joined by Erik Breden, we birded the boat launch area
on TX-48 (between Brownsville and Port Isabel). We found 13 species of
shorebirds: SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (3), AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER (2, both adults,
sometimes flew about voicing loud, penetrating yelps; saw a Great-tailed
Grackle appear to steal food from the mouth of one!), BLACK-NECKED STILT
(3), AMERICAN AVOCET (est.80 between two separate groups), GREATER
YELLOWLEGS (2), WILLET (numerous and widespread, but not counted), SPOTTED
SANDPIPER (2),  LONG-BILLED CURLEW (2), RUDDY TURNSTONE (3), SANDERLING
(est. 20-25), WESTERN SANDPIPER (12-15), LEAST SANDPIPER (6-8), and DUNLIN
(3, at least).

Other highlights included CASPIAN TERN (15, at least), FORSTER'S TERN
(several), and BLACK-SKIMMER (12-15); DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT (2); also, a
NORTHERN HARRIER (1). Most of the common waders were present in small
numbers, plus BROWN PELICAN (2, at least).

Our surprise there was the large number of American Avocets, and our
Bird-of-the-Day, the handsome, garrulous American Oystercatchers.

Earlier the three of us had sought butterflies at Resaca de la Palma State
Park and Sabal Palm Sanctuary. Across both locations we had 24 species (and
there may be more after we examine our photos of some species not identified
on site). At Resaca the highlight butterfly was PALE-BANDED CRESCENT (1),
and at Sabal the highlight was a splendid, fresh BLUE METALMARK male. Thanks
to Sherry and Dick Wilson for help in finding numerous species, including
the exciting Pale-banded Crescent and to Seth Patterson for the tip on the
Blue Metalmark, which had been a major target  for both sites.

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX