[texbirds] TOS Duluth 2014--Feb 19-23

  • From: "Jim Hailey" <irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TOS-List" <tos-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Texbirds " <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 14:27:21 -0500

Once again the Duluth trip is on!  Be sure to bring your sunscreen and bug
spray, although you probably will not need them, as we search for owls,
woodpeckers, gulls, grouse, chickadees, waxwings and the other species that
retreat from their boreal territories for the winter.  This trip usually
fills fast (already 6 pre-registered) so don't wait long if you are
interested in observing Snowy, Northern Hawk, and Great Gray Owls (last year
we had 3 Boreal Owls to boot), Bohemian Waxwings, Boreal Chickadees,
Black-backed and Three-toed Woodpecker, Sharp-tailed, Spruce and Ruffed
Grouse.  Along Lake Superior we can possibly find Thayer's, Iceland, &
Glaucous Gulls, Common & Barrow's Goldeneye, various duck species and who
knows what other irruptive species might be present.  This a great trip
taken by over 50 TOS members since we re-introduced it several years ago.
Our local guide is Kim Risen, one of our winter meeting speakers this year,
and he is amazing in the field.  Dress warm as it will likely be cold,
however, we spend much of our day in the warmth of our vans driving the
country roads in search of birds. Cost of this trip: $1325 for TOS members,
$1350 for non-members (includes a year membership) and $275 for a single
supplement.  A $300 deposit holds your place and the balance is due December
1, 2013.  Minimum 10--Maximum 16

Use the email address below to advise me that you want a spot on this trip.
When the trip fills I will send additional information to all participants
with instructions on how to complete registration.

Jim Hailey
President
Texas Ornithological Society
110 Lavaca Lane