[texbirds] Swallows Roosting in Corn Field - Karnes County

  • From: "Willie Sekula" <williebird22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:09:16 -0500

Yesterday evening I found a swallow roost in a corn field along FM 887 in
Karnes County.  The corn field is located on the north side of FM 887 about
1 mile west of the intersection with FM 3191.  The field is irrigated so the
corn plants are around 7-8 feet tall.

I stopped by there this evening and estimated 3,000 birds primarily
comprised of Cliff Swallows with around 100 Purple Martins mixed in.
Besides the swallows there were around 100 Red-winged Blackbirds.  The
swallows were landing on the corn tassels.  I've never heard of swallows
utilizing a corn field for a pre-fall migration roost site.  Most
interesting!

Willie Sekula

Falls City