[texbirds] Swainson's Warblers at Tyler State Park 4-8-15

  • From: Boyd Sanders <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 21:55:37 +0000

Howdy All!
This morning the area of the lake trail near the beaver pond was very busy. The
warblers are starting to arrive. In this area there were two singing Swainson's
Warblers. They were in the tall river cane, so vocals were as good as it got.
Also my FOS Nashville Warbler in that area too. Calling in that same area were
Chuck-will's-widows. They were doing that weird barking call. FOS Red-eyed
Vireos at the Beaver Pond and the park HQ. And Summer Tanager showed up in our
maintenance area.

I am looking forward to what the next weather system might bring. If you are
too, then come on out and join us this Saturday, April 11th at 8:15am at the
park headquarters building and we'll go do some birding for a couple of hours.

Here's the list:

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Apr 8, 2015 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

47 species

Wood Duck 2

Mallard 4

Pied-billed Grebe 3

Black Vulture 5

Turkey Vulture 3

Red-shouldered Hawk 1

Broad-winged Hawk 2

Mourning Dove 3

Chuck-will's-widow 2

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1

Red-headed Woodpecker 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker 3

Downy Woodpecker 2

Hairy Woodpecker 1

Pileated Woodpecker 2

Eastern Phoebe 8

Eastern Kingbird 2

White-eyed Vireo 8

Red-eyed Vireo 2

Blue Jay 10

American Crow 4

Purple Martin 6

Carolina Chickadee 16

Tufted Titmouse 3

White-breasted Nuthatch 4

Carolina Wren 8

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 5

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 10

Eastern Bluebird 2

Hermit Thrush 6

Brown Thrasher 2

Northern Mockingbird 3

Cedar Waxwing 2

Black-and-white Warbler 1

Swainson's Warbler 2

Orange-crowned Warbler 1

Nashville Warbler 2

Common Yellowthroat 1

Pine Warbler 7

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 5

Eastern Towhee 1

Chipping Sparrow 50

White-throated Sparrow 25

Summer Tanager 1

Northern Cardinal 16

Brown-headed Cowbird 3

American Goldfinch 10

Good birding,

Boyd A. Sanders, BBA, CIG
Master Interpreter/Exhibits Coordinator
Tyler State Park
(903)597-5338
Boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead)."- Red Green

[tpwd_lbo_logo]<http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/>