[texbirds] Sunday in the fog on Galveston Island w/pics

  • From: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 23:45:48 -0600

Almost didn't go, but the weather geniuses promised the fog would burn
off by late morning. (they really should invest in a new dart board).

Started off on 8 mile rd (and Sportsmans rd)  had a 1/4 mile visibility
if that around 9AM.  spotted two White-tailed hawks and a Kestrel on
some pasture fence posts just barely visible.  On the ponds going in
their were some small flocks of Northern Shovelers, and what appeared to
be a mix of Pintails and Teal, and a handful of Mottleds.  Spotted two
Osprey, each looking decidedly raggedy and disgruntled.  Got some pics,
but didn't post them.

Next up was Dos Vacas Muertas, and there we got this terrific shot of
two White-tailed Kites.  No0thing else though except a handful of
Warblers around the benches.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GAS-7qBgk8y-MOWu6JclRdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Then on to San Luis Pass.  With the fog it reminded me of the West
Coast.  Cold gray mist, and a deafening cacophony from unseen birds.  We
meandered our way out onto the flats (on the West Bay side) and were
rewarded wth hindred of birds from the waters edge out to 50-75 yards.
Mostly gulls, With the majority being Laughing, and Ringbills, but also
Franklins, a couple of wayward Herrings, and many I am not capable of
Id'ing.  Also scads of Avocets, Sandpipers, a smattering of egrets and
terns.  But the real catch was a large flock of Black Skimmers, nearly a
hundred as far as we could see through the mist.  THis pic was of some
that were in close.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rd7n0UqGhPSRpUvF8OZnO9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Then back towards Galveston we stopped at the Galv Is SP.  Pretty quiet,
yet another White-tailed Hawk, and a Red-tailed.  Plus a gazillion
Yellow-rumped Warblers, the mandatory Roseate, Egrets, and Blue Herons.

Next came Lafittes Cove Audobon sanctuary.  We had been seeing reports
the last couple weeks of people seeing a Say's Phorbe, so thought why
not:  it was around the time of most of the sightings early afternoon.
Was near the observatory deck and a Phoebe turned up...an Eastern.  So
we we checked out the waterfowl for a few minutes and returned.  Lo and
behold a Says!
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/axX7oBFXrmm21rihiQM_dNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
and
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eZ-Exf19auvAh4iILxan3dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Then a quick turn around Settegast Rd.  Nothing much.  Headed back to
Stewart Rd, and at the intersection stopped to put away the gear for the
trip home.  Glanced across the road and a couple of small flocks (20 or
so) Sandhills had stopped by to feed.  So dug out the camera again and
headed across.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oERVbdisHyEiDXPpjPaht9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Fog did thin a smidgeon by that time.

That was just the highlights.  Did learn one thing tough.  If you want
to see a LOT of raptors head out into the fog where you usually see
them....they will be grounded and because of the low visibility tend to
stay put much longer.  Probably should have noticed this years ago, but
can't remember birding on purpose (other than duck and goose) on foggy days.

complete album link
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips/OurBirdPicsCritters?authuser=0&feat=directlink

--
Monte