[texbirds] Striped Sparrow on Walnut Street in Georgetown? (Williamson County)

  • From: "Danielle Plumer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dcplumer@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:49:07 +0000 (UTC)

I was reading the 2/18/2014 Williamson County Sun and saw a picture of a
striped sparrow in the editorial, with the caption "A 'foreign' celebrity
striped sparrow was spotted on Walnut Street last weekend." I believe that the
photo is one that the Sun had previously published (credit: Jim Hailey).
The editorial by Clark Thurmond says:
Saturday afternoon my scattering of birdseed on the gravel driveway attracted a
few doves and sparrows. In with the sparrows was a stranger I hadn't seen
before. I fetched the binoculars to get a better look and made a mental note of
the head markings so I could look the little fellow up in our bird book. He
looked like a sparrow, but had a clear black band from beak to neck with a
white area above and below.
I promptly forgot about him until Monday when Linda mentioned that Claire
Osborn had a nice story in the Statesman that day on a rare little bird, a
striped sparrow -- the same bird Jim Hailey wrote about in the Sun in late
January. She showed me Jim's photos, which in a fit of inattention, I had
missed. Only then did I realize our Saturday visitor was a Big Deal in birding.
Mainly because he's not supposed to be here.
So we now know that the bird, which is non-migratory, has at least on one
occasion ranged from western Mexico to eastern Williamson County and as far
west hereabouts as the driveway at 1004 South Walnut Street. He did not go past
the middle of the driveway or any further west than the dog gate.
Coincidentally, that is also as far as the birdseed went.

I don't know any more details than that, but I'm considering a trip to Clark's
house.
Danielle Cunniff PlumerGeorgetown, Williamson County, TX