[texbirds] State Parks and Dawn Chorus

  • From: Ronnie Kramer <ronniekramer1964@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:49:05 -0600

Spring is approaching rapidly and I've had Dawn Chorus on my mind quite a
bit as a few of you may know. I did not realize there was an International
Dawn Chorus Day.  (Woohoo, Texas is now the first state to have a
registered event for this year.)
About International Dawn Chorus  http://www.idcd.info/

As thoughts were bouncing in my head I just penned the following and sent
it to my state senator and representative.  If you like the idea you can
find your state representation and send them emails from this website;
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/  on the right about half way down there is
a label "Who represents me?" where you can find out your representatives
(and US Reps as well, but this would be Texas legislation.)

* *

*To the Honorable FULLNAME,*
* *

*Dear Congressman OR Senator,*
* *

*While I realize times are hard all over and spending is more likely to be
cut then revenue reduced, I ask you to consider my proposal.*
* *

*Revision to Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 13, Section 13.015 Park
User Fees; Concessions.*
* *

*Amendment to add section (a-1) The commission shall waive all park
entrance fees on the first Sunday of May each year.  The department shall
ensure all public use park entrances are open at least one hour prior to
sunrise on the first Sunday of May each year.*
* *

*--------------*
* *

*The firs Sunday in May is International Dawn Chorus Day.  This is a day in
spring that our birds in Texas are most active at dawn singing songs that
they do not sing any other time of the day, setting up and defending
territories, and seeking mates.  At this time of day all parks should be
open at sunrise at least one day a year so that this unique wildlife even
can actually be enjoyed by wildlife enthusiasts.  At no other time of day
do our birds sing so enthusiastically and fully.  It is a shame that as it
is now, this Dawn Chorus is over before the gates are open.  *
* *

* *
* *

*Additionally, free access to enter parks one day a year would not have a
significant negative impact on park fees.  First it is only one day out of
365.  Secondly it would not apply to facility fees such as camping.  Thirdly,
individuals who took advantage of the free day would consist partly of
individuals who would not otherwise use the park, therefore would not have
paid the fees any way.  In fact it could be a chance for more youngsters to
be introduced to the outdoors and more wildlife/park enthusiasts could
result from the free annual visit.*
* *

*Respectfully submitted,*
* *