[texbirds] Spring migration @ Edinburg Scenic Wetlands, Hidalgo co.

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:44:38 -0500

Hello Texbirders,
Spring migration has finally picked up at the EWBC! During the bird walk
this morning we encountered a few new birds!

Most of the action was in the mesquites that run between the two north pond
overlooks and the area around the canal overlook. In this area were; *Tennessee
Warblers*, *Black-throated Green Warblers*, *Warbling Vireos*, and a *Red-eyed
Vireo*.

Along the south pond I saw a *Scarlet Tanager *up high in one of the
neighboring Eucalyptus tress that stem out of the residential area to
the south. Also in the area were *Dickcissels* flying over.

The best birds for me personally were five *Yellow-headed Blackbirds *that
flew over the North Pond heading north mixed in with a flock of other
blackbirds. A new species for me in the park!

Come visit! Its going to start getting real interesting!

Good Spring birding to all,
Naturalist Educator,
Javi Gonzalez

Here's the full list:

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, US-TX
Apr 21, 2015 7:45 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Area
40.0 ac
Comments: Tuesday Birdwalk
54 species (+1 other taxa)

Blue-winged Teal 4
Northern Shoveler 2
Plain Chachalaca 3
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Neotropic Cormorant 12
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Egret 1
Snowy Egret 4
Green Heron 3
American Coot 8
Killdeer 1
Laughing Gull 3
Eurasian Collared-Dove 4
White-tipped Dove 1
White-winged Dove 18 Mainly FO
Mourning Dove 4
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 3
Green Kingfisher 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 3
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 1
Brown-crested Flycatcher 1
Great Kiskadee 2
Couch's Kingbird 2
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 1
White-eyed Vireo 2
Warbling Vireo 2
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Purple Martin 2
Tree Swallow 1
Barn Swallow 3
Cliff Swallow 5
Black-crested Titmouse 1
House Wren 2
Bewick's Wren 2
Curve-billed Thrasher 2
Long-billed Thrasher 4
Northern Mockingbird 6
Black-and-white Warbler 3
Tennessee Warbler 4
Nashville Warbler 2
Black-throated Green Warbler 2
Yellow-breasted Chat 2
Lincoln's Sparrow 3
Scarlet Tanager 1
Northern Cardinal 4
Indigo Bunting 1
Painted Bunting 1
Dickcissel 2
Red-winged Blackbird X
Yellow-headed Blackbird 5 Flew over the north pond with other
blackbirds, heading north.
Great-tailed Grackle X
Brown-headed Cowbird 3
blackbird sp. 15