[texbirds] Sparrows on Brushline Road, Hidalgo Co, 2/7/13

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:32:51 -0500 (EST)

This morning my plan was to run up to Sal del Rey and work on the Hidalgo
county year list.  Just south of Delta :ale on FM 88 was a large mixed flock of
Snow, Ross' and White-fronted Gees, about 1000 birds.  Delta Lake is still low
and now the west side is dropping but I didn't spend any time there.  My walk
into Sal del Rey from Brushline road netted very little.  It's just so dry.
The salt lake had a little water sitting on top of the salt slush but no birds.
 So I decide to bird Brushline Road up to Mary Beth's pond.  I was surprised to
find quite a few sparrows of six different species, most of them were along the
road in the dry grassy fields north of GI Road.

Brushline Road north of TX 186, Hidalgo, US-TX
Feb 7, 2013 11:00 AM - 1:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Brushline Road from TX 186 to Mary Beth's Pond
35 species (+1 other taxa)

Green-winged Teal  2
Black Vulture  2
Turkey Vulture  3