[texbirds] Southern Williamson Co today - 8 species of sparrows, Hooded Merganser, Audubon's Warbler

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:42:50 -0600

Hello,
I went birding at Meadow Lake, Soil Conservation Site 11 Reservoir, and along
the east end of Brushy Creek. Between all these places I found 8 species of
sparrows including Dark-eyed Junco at SCS 11 and a Swamp Sparrow at Meadow
Lake.  Meadow Lake was loaded with waterfowl, but I was not able to locate the
Western Grebe. I did have really good looks at a male Hooded Merganser
displaying, which was beautiful - crest raised, throwing his bill up and down.
No female though. I also had a Common Raven in molt fly over, which I thought
was weird. At the Soil Conservation Site there was a huge flock of
Yellow-rumped Warblers, one of which was an Audubon’s. There were also Spotted
Towhees, a Dark-eyed Junco, and some Golden-crowned Kinglets here.
I also birded along the eastern part of Brushy Creek (but still west of 35).
There is a walking path here and a parking area. I moved into the brush along
the creek and whistled up a flock. There were some Cedar Waxwings along the
creek, and I had four species of woodpecker - a red-shafted Flicker, a female
Red-bellied Woodpecker, a Downy Woodpecker, and a pair of Ladder-backed
Woodpeckers.

Good birding,

Christian Walker

Begin forwarded message: