[texbirds] South Padre Friday - Take Two

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 07:01:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, gang~  Apparently this didn't go through the first time, so here  we go
again!

Hi, all!

Just wanted to get a quick report out:  Dan Jones is absolutely right  in
that the Colleys and Zurovecs were troopers today!  Robin had Kentucky
Warblers and Wood Thrushes practically feeding out of her hand! :-)  It was  a
FABULOUS day out there:  many folks gave me the old "You shoulda been  here
yesterday," but personally, I've NEVER experienced anything like what was  out
there today!  (And from what people were saying about the weather,  today
was a MUCH better day for photography...)  Still hundreds of birds  with
orioles, grosbeaks, and buntings making like Christmas tree ornaments, and
friendly warblers and thrushes coming up to our feet!  I've never seen so  many
Hooded Warblers and Ovenbirds in my life!!  Tennessees were all over  the
place (Scarlet had oranges lined up along the walls and the orioles and
Tennessees were in the chow line), and both Summer and Scarlet Tanagers were at

point blank!  A female Cerulean was also underfoot, and a Blackpoll,
Bay-breasted, and Blue-winged Warbler would make occasional appearances.  A
Philadelphia Vireo said hello along with a Warbling later, and there were
several Acadian Flycatchers and Wood Pewees to compare.  Out along the back
side
my San Diego friend Alice and I saw oodles of Blue Grosbeaks, and an Upland
Sandpiper went zipping by as well (our mutual friend Tony had photographed
an  American Golden Plover out there, too)!  I'm still reeling from the
show!  I think the star for many of us was a very cooperative Swainson's
Warbler who then knocked himself against the building; thankfully he recovered
and flew off.  Another star was the transitioning Bobolink who gave  stunning
views!

Here's the list: I only made a quick visit along the boardwalk and  didn't
make it out to the mudflats or Sheepshead at all, so I'm a little short  on
water birds (a frigatebird was seen at Sheepshead and coming our way, but I
don't think anyone at the CC spotted him...)  Pictures will be up later
this weekend, as our VNC field trip will be heading back out there tomorrow;
hopefully there will be some stragglers!

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Mottled  Duck                           Anas fulvigula
Blue-winged  Teal                       Anas discors
Redhead                                Aythya americana
Pied-billed  Grebe                      Podilymbus podiceps
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Little Blue  Heron                      Egretta caerulea
Tricolored  Heron                       Egretta tricolor
Cattle  Egret                           Bubulcus ibis
Osprey                                 Pandion haliaetus
Clapper  Rail                           Rallus longirostris
Sora                                   Porzana carolina
Common  Gallinule                       Gallinula galeata
American  Coot                          Fulica americana
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
Willet                                 Tringa semipalmata
Upland  Sandpiper                       Bartramia longicauda
Least  Sandpiper                        Calidris minutilla
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Least  Tern                             Sternula antillarum
Caspian  Tern                           Hydroprogne caspia
Royal  Tern                             Thalasseus maximus
Sandwich  Tern                          Thalasseus sandvicensis
Black  Skimmer                          Rynchops niger
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Chimney  Swift                          Chaetura pelagica
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird              Archilochus colubris
Belted  Kingfisher                      Megaceryle alcyon
Yellow-bellied  Sapsucker               Sphyrapicus varius
Eastern  Wood-Pewee                     Contopus virens
Acadian  Flycatcher                     Empidonax virescens
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Warbling  Vireo                         Vireo gilvus
Philadelphia  Vireo                     Vireo philadelphicus
Barn  Swallow                           Hirundo rustica
Cliff  Swallow                          Petrochelidon pyrrhonota
Sedge  Wren                             Cistothorus platensis
Marsh  Wren                             Cistothorus palustris
Ruby-crowned  Kinglet                   Regulus calendula
Veery                                  Catharus fuscescens
Gray-cheeked  Thrush                    Catharus minimus
Swainson's  Thrush                      Catharus ustulatus
Wood  Thrush                            Hylocichla mustelina
Gray  Catbird                           Dumetella carolinensis
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
Ovenbird                               Seiurus aurocapilla
Northern  Waterthrush                   Parkesia noveboracensis
Blue-winged  Warbler                    Vermivora cyanoptera
Black-and-white  Warbler                Mniotilta varia
Prothonotary  Warbler                   Protonotaria citrea
Swainson's  Warbler                     Limnothlypis swainsonii
Tennessee  Warbler                      Oreothlypis peregrina
Nashville  Warbler                      Oreothlypis ruficapilla
Kentucky  Warbler                       Geothlypis formosa
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
Hooded  Warbler                         Setophaga citrina
American  Redstart                      Setophaga ruticilla
Cerulean  Warbler                       Setophaga cerulea
Northern  Parula                        Setophaga americana
Magnolia  Warbler                       Setophaga magnolia
Bay-breasted  Warbler                   Setophaga castanea
Yellow  Warbler                         Setophaga petechia
Chestnut-sided  Warbler                 Setophaga pensylvanica
Blackpoll  Warbler                      Setophaga striata
Black-throated Green  Warbler          Setophaga  virens
Lark  Sparrow                           Chondestes grammacus
Lincoln's  Sparrow                      Melospiza lincolnii
Summer  Tanager                         Piranga rubra
Scarlet  Tanager                        Piranga olivacea
Rose-breasted  Grosbeak                 Pheucticus ludovicianus
Blue  Grosbeak                          Passerina caerulea
Indigo  Bunting                         Passerina cyanea
Painted  Bunting                        Passerina ciris
Dickcissel                             Spiza americana
Bobolink                               Dolichonyx oryzivorus
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern  Meadowlark                     Sturnella magna
Yellow-headed  Blackbird                Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
Baltimore  Oriole                       Icterus galbula
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
86 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)