[texbirds] Somerville WMA & Angelina Scouting (longish)

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:02:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Headed out in the pitch this morning, and Google let me down—I still got
lost!  It took me up a route that was supposed to go up FM 1948 and connect
with FM 2780 via Eberhardt Road, only Eberhardt Road petered out (or at
least it  left a lot to be desired…)!  So I fell back on the old-fashioned way
and  pulled out the Delorme Atlas and took what it showed to be major roads
up to FM  180 and Nails Creek!  At least by stopping a couple of time in the
dark, I  picked up Barred Owl for the trip, and interestingly the only
Purple Martins and  Lark Sparrows of the day!

Despite getting lost, I still made it to the state park right about  dawn,
where the dreaded deer were grazing just beyond the entrance station (I’ll
never look at them the same again… :-P)!  We’re in the big woods with a
decidedly eastern flavor now, adding Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers, Brown
Thrasher, and Tufted Titmouse to the trip list.  It was quite foggy to
begin with, so I really didn’t get much of a look at the lake, but there were a
 few things hugging the shoreline, like Blue-winged Teal, Coots, Killdeer,
Least  Sandpipers, a Lesser Yellowlegs, and some Long-billed Dowitchers (I
may have had  a Baird’s Sandpiper in there as well, but it was just too far
away to  tell).  Neotropic Cormorants were grunting, and more Cedar Waxwings
were in  the picnic area.  At the "Family Fishing Pond", a Northern Parula
with a  weird song finally came out when a titmouse responded to my pishing,
then  promptly decided to chase the parula around!  More ducks were at the
boat  ramp (including a pair of Shovelers), and a Spotted Sandpiper took off
with its  bowed wingbeats.

There were several little trails in the park, but since I was anxious  to
road-bird the WMA, I just did a portion of the Somerville Trailway, which
went through some lovely woodland where, in addition to the regulars, I was
able  to add Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Nashville Warbler, and (interestingly)
Roadrunner  to the day list!  The turnaround point was perfect:  there was a
little path leading to some rocks that gave you a window out over the lake
(although it was still socked in); here I kicked up a couple of White-throated
 Sparrows, and what I thought for sure was a distant flock of Sandhill
Cranes  turned out to be some kind of frog!  How embarrassing!

I had made a little Google map outlining a proposed road-birding route
based on some wonderful information Richard Kostecke posted regarding his own
visit there a couple of weeks ago.  The best stop by far (before I got lost
again) was Newman Bottom:  the road to the parking area was heavily wooded,
 and at the little bridge heard a singing Swainson’s Warbler, which is one
of the  targets he mentioned!  The road then opens up into some prairie with
a  hidden pond, which I might have missed altogether had not some Snowy
Egrets and  a Great Blue Heron taken off!  Some Blue-winged Teal and a Solitary
 Sandpiper took off, and an Upland Sandpiper called somewhere overhead.

From the parking area, you cross another bridge that goes into the  woods,
and I needn’t have worried about missing Barred Owl, because one sounded
off just as I got out of the car!  A Red-shouldered Hawk was also  screaming,
and the woods had "duetting" Yellow-billed Cuckoos and something  pinking
that could have been a waterthrush, but I just couldn’t pull it  out.  A Pewee
was tentatively singing as well.  The trail also opens  up into beautiful
pastureland with trees dotted here and there, where Carolina  Chickadees were
singing and chattering.  A circling raptor turned out to be  a Broad-winged
Hawk, and coming back had both Summer Tanager and Orchard Orioles  singing,
along with a Clubtail of some kind that I still need to sort  out....  A
Savannah Sparrow popped up at the car, and a Harrier circled  around on the
drive out.

From there I weaved around all these little farm and county roads just  to
see what I could see; for being a rural area there were still enough
residences that stopping regularly along the road proved problematic, but I
managed to add a flyover Little Blue Heron, Cliff Swallows at a bridge, a
singing Grasshopper Sparrow, Inca Dove, Bell’s Vireo, and White-crowned Sparrow

to the list.  I wanted to take CR 134 around the back side of the WMA, but
somehow I managed to get turned around and wound up on FM 111 (!!), so since
it  was 11:30 I decided to call it a day and head for Lufkin.  But before
doing  so, I backtracked to CR 135 (which is dirt) and drove down it a bit so
I could  pull over, unobtrusively drain the cooler, and make a sandwich
before heading  off.  But a big beautiful Pileated Woodpecker flying across the
road was  worth the detour!

Headed to Lufkin through all new territory, and actually got there  around
2:30, so decided to head on down to the Boykin Springs area just to make
sure I could find it in the dark and to scout some of those forest roads.   I’
m very glad I did; a brown sign off SR 63 east of Zavalla directs you to the
 Uplands Wilderness Area, so I took that, and once past the "residential"
section  it dumps you off in deep, deep woodland!  Even this late in the day
things  were singing, and a sweet song I didn’t recognize at first turned
out to be a  Hooded Warbler.  The road swings around through another residence
and  maintenance buildings (I suspect they’re forest service folks) where a
pair of  Eastern Kingbirds was hanging out.  Continuing on, I passed
through what  looked like good Bachman’s Sparrow habitat, but also noticed
where
they were  apparently doing a controlled burn all the way down to Boykin
Springs!  I  was wondering how that was going to affect the two target birds,
as
I was  thinking about starting there first thing, as I was advised to get
the  woodpecker early, because they quit calling shortly after sunrise!  The
road ends at a little roundabout and a path going up into the picnic area
(and  there is indeed a good-sized spring there), so I used the facilities
and had  just started the car up when I heard a suspicious-sounding harsh
call, so I  jumped out of the car and traced it down, and it was indeed a
Red-cockaded  Woodpecker!  He flew across the road where his mate was and the
two
were  tapping away, and then decided to have a little discussion in
something that  sounded like a cross between a Brown-headed Nuthatch and a
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker!  I was very happy to get that one in the bank!  Just
for
good measure there was a Brown-headed Nuthatch sitting on one of the
branches  nearby!

Headed back to Lufkin for the night with an even 80 species for the  day!
Bird List:

  Blue-winged  Teal                       Anas discors
Northern  Shoveler                      Anas clypeata
Neotropic  Cormorant                    Phalacrocorax brasilianus
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Little Blue  Heron                      Egretta caerulea
Cattle  Egret                           Bubulcus ibis
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Northern  Harrier                       Circus cyaneus
Red-shouldered  Hawk                    Buteo lineatus
Broad-winged  Hawk                      Buteo platypterus
Red-tailed  Hawk                        Buteo jamaicensis
American  Coot                          Fulica americana
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Spotted  Sandpiper                      Actitis macularius
Solitary  Sandpiper                     Tringa solitaria
Lesser  Yellowlegs                      Tringa flavipes
Upland  Sandpiper                       Bartramia longicauda
Least  Sandpiper                        Calidris minutilla
Long-billed  Dowitcher                  Limnodromus scolopaceus
Rock Pigeon
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Inca  Dove                              Columbina inca
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Greater  Roadrunner                     Geococcyx californianus
Barred  Owl                             Strix varia
Chimney  Swift                          Chaetura pelagica
Red-bellied  Woodpecker                 Melanerpes carolinus
Downy  Woodpecker                       Picoides pubescens
Red-cockaded  Woodpecker                Picoides borealis
Pileated  Woodpecker                    Dryocopus pileatus
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Eastern  Wood-Pewee                     Contopus virens
Eastern  Phoebe                         Sayornis phoebe
Great Crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus crinitus
Eastern  Kingbird                       Tyrannus tyrannus
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Bell's  Vireo                           Vireo bellii
Warbling  Vireo                         Vireo gilvus
Red-eyed  Vireo                         Vireo olivaceus
Blue  Jay                               Cyanocitta cristata
American  Crow                          Corvus brachyrhynchos
Purple  Martin                          Progne subis
Barn  Swallow                           Hirundo rustica
Cliff  Swallow                          Petrochelidon pyrrhonota
Cave  Swallow                           Petrochelidon fulva
Carolina  Chickadee                     Poecile carolinensis
Tufted  Titmouse                        Baeolophus bicolor
Brown-headed  Nuthatch                  Sitta pusilla
Carolina  Wren                          Thryothorus ludovicianus
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher                  Polioptila caerulea
Ruby-crowned  Kinglet                   Regulus calendula
Eastern  Bluebird                       Sialia sialis
Brown  Thrasher                         Toxostoma rufum
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
Cedar  Waxwing                          Bombycilla cedrorum
Swainson's  Warbler                     Limnothlypis swainsonii
Orange-crowned  Warbler                 Oreothlypis celata
Nashville  Warbler                      Oreothlypis ruficapilla
Hooded  Warbler                         Setophaga citrina
Northern  Parula                        Setophaga americana
Yellow-rumped  Warbler                  Setophaga coronata
Chipping  Sparrow                       Spizella passerina
Lark  Sparrow                           Chondestes grammacus
Savannah  Sparrow                       Passerculus sandwichensis
Grasshopper  Sparrow                    Ammodramus savannarum
Lincoln's  Sparrow                      Melospiza lincolnii
White-throated  Sparrow                 Zonotrichia albicollis
White-crowned  Sparrow                  Zonotrichia leucophrys
Summer  Tanager                         Piranga rubra
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Painted  Bunting                        Passerina ciris
Dickcissel                             Spiza americana
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus

80 SPECIES
So far:  156 SPECIES

Mary Beth Stowe
McAllen,  TX