[texbirds] Some observations from Lubbock - today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 17:06:26 -0600

Greetings All:
I believe that Lubbock has actually met blizzard criteria today - multiple
inches of snow on the ground, high winds generating snow even when it isn't
actually snowing, drifts that are getting into the multiple foot range.
This brings me back in time to my years in Pullman, Washington - generally
good for a blizzard or two every winter.

Birding today has been restricted to a) watching what happens when you put
thirty pounds of seed out when the local birds are used to getting five and
b) a four block walk to the nearest convenience store and back (I had
enough bourbon to make it through this 'winter weather event' but ran out
of cokes to blend it with, I had a hankering for a fruit pie, and I wanted
to be able to claim I took a walk in the blizzard of 2015. The walk was
fine. The real exercise came from helping one driver get his truck off the
curb he had backed onto and helping two other drivers get their cars out of
the snow on ice that was blocking their driveways.

The birding report, feeder edition. Aside from feeding every Eurasian
Collared Dove, White-winged Dove, House Finch, and House Sparrow in my
neighborhood I noted the following goodies: 1 White-throated Sparrow (good
anywhere in Lubbock this winter), 2 White-crowned Sparrows (good for my
yard), 6 or so Dark-eyed Juncos (good for my yard), a pair of Northern
Cardinals (good for my yard), and 4 Pine Siskins (good for Lubbock this
winter).

I also noted Great-tailed Grackles trying to deal with sunflower seeds,
took pity on them, and dumped some of the broken pecans I have gathered
over the past week or so on the feeder. Somebody has to throw a little
love to the grackles, eh?

The birding report, walk edition. Geese, in short supply during the CBC
last weekend, are here. Tens of thousands of Cackling and/or Canada Geese
moving overhead with isolated and small patches of Snow and/or Ross's
Geese. Northern Pintails, likewise in short supply so far this season,
were moving over in the hundreds and Ring-billed Gulls are also finally
making their typical winter presence known. I also saw a largish group of
Mallards and Northern Shovelers heading south - possibly towards Leroy
Elmore Park.

I really hope that I can get out to the Canyon Lakes on the 31st. Things
might just be interesting. I am also hoping that Niler Pyeatt's Common
Redpoll returns to the region and ends up in my backyard:)

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock