[texbirds] Some highlights of SPI yesterday (04/18/14) afternoon

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:46:12 -0500

Late yesterday afternoon we visited both the South Padre Island Convention
Center and the Sheepshead Street property in search of whatever the
migration might have to offer, but we had a special interest in seeing and
getting photos of the Red-headed Woodpecker that recently moved to the
Convention Center (CC) site from its former Sheepshead location.

SPI CC: The Red-headed Woodpecker was easy to find and photograph. A major
reason was that some thoughtful individual(s) had placed halved oranges on
limb stubs of various of the trees at the back of the CC building. That
particular habitat is good for this species, which likes trees spread about
with some open space between and around them, rather than a dense grove of
trees. This species of woodpecker, which has sometimes been described as
omnivorous, likes fruit, and it regularly came to one or another of the
trees in that area that still had useful orange halves. It is a relatively
tame woodpecker and actually seems quite bold. Still, like all birds, it has
its limits of approach, so respectful quietness and stealth are useful in
enjoying and photographing this very striking creature.

At the CC we also saw (in no special order): VEERY (1, behind CC);
SWAINSON'S THRUSH (1); NORTHERN PARULA (1), BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER (2);
BALTIMORE ORIOLE (several); SCARLET TANAGER (1); SUMMER TANAGER (1); and
INDIGO BUNTING (several).

Our visit to SPI did not, this time, make any special effort to find
shorebirds, but Birgit spotted MARBLED GODWIT (1) in the bayside area
north/northwest of the CC building.

SHEEPSHEAD: NORTHERN PARULA (2); NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH (1); INDIGO BUNTING
(several); and SWAINSON'S THRUSH (1). Our late-day visit probably played a
role to the paucity of species that we found there.

During our visit to SPI yesterday, the birding thus was decidedly slow, and
talk with birders there who had been there earlier in the day seemed to
support our impression that the birding had not been outstanding yesterday.
Still, there were delightful birds present, and such leisurely birding can
provide an opportunity for the diligent birder to study and learn something
about the species present, through sustained observation. It seems certain
that better days are soon to come in terms of numbers of species. We
especially enjoyed our views of that splendid Red-headed Woodpecker and
learning something of its habits. It is more than just a rare bird in this
area. It is a handsome and spectacular one anywhere!

Wishing everyone the best of spring migration birding,
Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX