[texbirds] Some good Starr Co. finds

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:43:57 -0500

   Tried to arrive at where I was going (strictly private) around 4:45A
this morning but because of one thing or another did not get there until
the sky was getting pink so once again dipped on Elf Owls, but made up it
in numerous ways until around 10:30 when things started to go quiet and the
air started to sizzle.  The dawn song was incredible with Blue Grosbeaks,
Bullock's Orioles, both quails and Ash-throateds everywhere   Very
interesting was a juv. Bronzed Cowbirds chasing around a pair of
Black-tailed Gnatcatchers, while a Juv. Brown-headed was following a pair
of Pyrruloxias...Seems like that should be the other way around   A singing
Grasshopper Sparrow was a surprise!

Other Highlights included  A pair of Kestrels...They looked a bit off to
me, but a high fence separated them from me so my photos are not great.
An active nest of Swainson's Hawks.
~10-12 Anis
Lots of baby Black-throated Sparrows out and about.
And several Cave Swallow (I think nesting in a barn.  Quite a few nice
herps to early including a nice 4 ft. Diamond-back

   Photos on http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
--
Brush Freeman
361-655-7641