[texbirds] Some Lubbock Highlights - Including 2 Red-shouldered Hawks

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 14:47:09 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I spent about four hours chasing birds in Lubbock this morning/afternoon.
Birding for the day was somewhat slow but the recent rains couldn't help but
make one feel hopeful for the future:)

I started at Mae Simmons Park where forty-five minutes produces very few birds.
 The sole highlight: 1 Winter Wren.

Lake Six was hopping with goodies (most of which had been discovered over the
last few weeks by other observers).  Highlights included 2 female Common
Goldeneyes, 1 female and 1 male Red-breasted Mergansers, 1 Eared Grebe, and 1
Merlin.

The adult Red-shouldered Hawk was still below Lake Six and a Common
Yellowthroat had moved into the now-flooded marsh just upstream from the hawk's
favored roost.

I was able to located 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and 1 Townsend's Solitaire at
the Lubbock Cemetery.

Clapp Park took first prize for the day, though, when a smallish hawk followed
along the dike turned out to be a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk!  Other
highlights included 2 Blue-winged Teals tucked in amongst the hordes of
Mallards and American Wigeons and Norther Shovelers (may well be the same two
birds seen nearby during the Christmas Bird Count), 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1
Wilson's Snipe,  1 Peregrine Falcon, 1 House Wren (at Shrubhenge), 1 Townsend's
Solitaire (back at the junipers after a two week absence), 1 Brown Thrasher
(along the dike), and 2 Orange-crowned Warblers (this may be the only site in
the region that has two Orange-crowned Warblers this winter).