[texbirds] Smith Point migration summary, 11 Sep-15 Nov 2012

  • From: Tony Leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:44:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi all:

I have finally gotten all of the data that I recorded at the hawkwatch tower at
Smith Point this fall.  I arrived in mid-afternoon on 11 September and stayed
through the end of the count season on 15 November.  I was present every day
but one during this time, but a number of days I was not present for the entire
count day, as either Tad Finnell or Dan Smith filled in for me so that I could
have a few hours or the entire day off (though I was still present for some
part of nearly every day; 14 October being the only exception).  I wound up
recording data from the tower for a total of 490.25 hours during this period.

I made a summary table of data of selected species that I have posted on my
Flickr site (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_leukering/8328533858).  This
table does not include the raptor species, as I have already summarized those
data for Texbirds (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_leukering/8223403353).
 These data represent only birds that I saw/heard; others were detected from
the tower that I missed.  The swallow numbers presented should be considered
very conservative minimum estimates.  The swallow flight past Smith Point is
simply spectacular and the numbers of Northern Rough-winged, Barn, and Cliff
swallows, as well as swallow sp., may well have been up to an order of
magnitude higher.  Each.

Again, thanks to the regular and not-so-regular visitors that helped to make my
time at Smith Point such an enjoyabl experience, including (but in no way
limited to), in no particular order:  Joe Kennedy, Tad Finnell, Sue Heath,
Winnie Burkett, Andy Dietrich, Dan Smith, Marcy Brown, and John Whittle.

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Villas, NJ