[texbirds] Smith Point Hawk Watch: End of season pictures

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 09:05:37 -0600

About my last hawk of the season at Smith Point was this red-tailed hawk
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864328

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864327

It was another season in a long string of not many red-tails at the tower.
And lots of other small counts too. Lack of real cold fronts and the
presence of vermilion flycatchers and hummingbirds in the upper mid-west
sort of demonstrate why the hawks are not here yet and migrated later than
normal.

There were still some migrant turkey vultures around including this one
with a different wing pattern

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864321

One of the last broad-winged hawks has a bad tail but is growing new
feathers and did not have trouble flying

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864317

And can control the feather spread at times

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864315

Cooper's hawks were still moving at the end of the season

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864314

The robin horde on the 12th was spectacular

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864310

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864308

As were the franklin's gulls. No camera when the big round flocks went by

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864305

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864303

A group of red-breasted mergansers were about the first ducks on the bay

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864302

The 9th had a major spiderling lift off with birds in the later pm
festooned with silk strands of many spiders like the turkey vulture

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864294

and these white pelicans

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864293

Other birds had less

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864288

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864292

The spiderlings originated in the area of Anahuac Refuge andor upwind of
there. At least there was a great amount of silk all over the refuge and
cars etc so that all visitors were amazed. There was heavy dew early in the
day and the birds seen before a noonish wind shift did not have silk. I did
not notice any on the plants at smith point and at the tower only saw a
couple of big pieces that probably came off vultures.

A couple of late wood storks were up with the vultures and a small anhinga
group was down low

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864284

Migrants of the day were the white pelican flocks

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864283

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864282

A crested caracara came in high and chased first a broad-wing and then a
red-shouldered hawk with what I thought was breakfast intent.

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864281

Two bald eagles for the day were my best of the season

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864279

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864280

And made everyone else look little

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864278

A banded piping plover was back at Robbins Park for its second season

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864274

The bobwhite quail continue until they are routed by blue jays wanting to
eat

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864272

And the villain of the story

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864270

Most robins and bluebirds are way up there but some do drop in by the tower

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864271

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161864269

Not a real hawky end to the season but great days birding.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston