[texbirds] Smith Point Hawk Watch 9/9/12 (2475 raptors)

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 20:47:16 -0500

TexBirders,

Great day at Smith Point Hawk Watch today. Due to cancelled off shore trip,
Tad and I were able to be there to help out the offical counters Dan Smith
and Dave Hanson. Early in the day, three large groups of Anhinga passed by.
We estimated them to be about 800 birds total. 2 Wood Storks circled by
with one group. Lots and lots of passerines to keep us entertained. Eastern
Kingbirds, Dickcissels, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Least Flycatcher, Alder
Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, many warblers
zipping by. Too many swallows to even think about! The raptors came in
shifts, one bird one early and another big one late. Mostly Broad-wings but
a fair showing of Mississippi Kites too. Thanks to Dan and Dave for
volunteering. Also thanks to a small grant from the Hamman Foundation, we
were able to hire a counter for the rest of the season. Tony Leukering who
has counted at Cape May, NJ, Whitefish Point, MI, and Dinosaur Ridge, CO
will arrive on Tuesday. Come on by and give him a big Texas welcome.

Broad-winged Hawk 2331
Red-tailed Hawk 3
Swainson's Hawk 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 10
Cooper's Hawk 14
Mississippi Kite 99
Turkey Vulture 4
Black Vultre 10
American kestrel 5
Norther Harrier 1

Sue

Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm