[texbirds] Smith Point Hawk Watch (10/20/14) 10,557 raptors

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:41:01 -0500

Well folks, in the course of seven days we've gone from the worst season
ever at Smith Point to being on the verge of breaking the all-time total for
both Broad-wings and the count as a whole. Amazing how quickly things can
turn around.

Count for 10/20/14, total 10,557
Black Vulture 4
Turkey Vulture 90
Bald Eagle 1
Northern Harrier 5
Sharp-shinned Hawk 12
Cooper's Hawk 36
Broad-winged Hawk 10,390
Swainson's Hawk 10
American Kestrel 8
Mississippi Kite 1

Jason has suddenly lost cell service out there so I don't know how
frequently we will be able to post the totals in the next few days, but
we'll do our best.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, PhD
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory