[texbirds] Shorebird survey, Follett's Island

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:22:53 -0500

All,

We started up our shorebird surveys again yesterday. Saw two Red Knots and lots
of Semipalmated Plovers. One Baird's Sandpiper in a puddle. One each, white and
red Reddish Egret - always a treat. Further down the beach out of the 1 mile
transect we found an oystercatcher family that I have been looking for for two
months so I could determine whether their chick fledged. It did as it was with
them! Very pleasing to see that. They disappeared from their nesting island
before we could see whether the chick lived to fledging age. Never had that
happen before. Usually they hang around but this pair didn't have very good
foraging habitat so they left the area as soon as the chick could fly. A
complete list from the survey is below.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, PhD
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory