[texbirds] Shiny Cowbird at Anahuac NWR Skillern Tract

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:50:26 -0500

During our big sit Sunday I had a bird that I now believe is a good
Shiny Cowbird. I haven't able to get a copy of the photo Collin
Shields got of the bird, but I've had some personal communication with
Alvaro Jaramillo and Peter Burke and believe everything is consistent
with Shiny Cowbird.

The bird was an immature male cowbird with an obvious dark glossy body
and a dark glossy head. The eye was dark and there was no hint of a
cowl as in a Bronze Cowbird. The bird had some brown feathers in the
primary and tertials but other than that it was all dark. It moved
around while we had it in a few for several minutes and we were able
to see no hint of brown in the head. There was no contrast between the
head and body and the coloration was consistent.

The bird was in a small flock of 5-6 Brown-headed Cowbird we found frm
from the Rookery Overload during the big sit. I think relocating it
would be a challenge, it is possible I suppose.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX