[texbirds] Shackelford Co

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 13:40:15 -0500

*************************************************************************************************************
  Wrapped up spring surveys for the above this morning but still have
a few elsewhere.  Some thoughts (and there are many) about this remore
hill country....

  When we did the same survey in January we had Blue Jays at virtually
every riparian spot.  In three weeks we did did not see or hear a
single bird

  This is totally G. F. Woodpecker country...Even last winter we did
not find a Red-bellied or a hybrid.

  No Black Vultures at all, though just 40 miles to the east we find them

  It is Verdinville big time.

  3 most common species Mockingbird, Painted Buntings and Cardinal.

  Bobwhites remain common and are especially after the last few rains.

  There was about 2" of rain in our survey area and we had 3-4
Cassin's Sparrows...We returned after 5 days to find them everywhere
as the grass greened up quickly....And that was just recently.

Raptors are very low in abundance with only two Red-tailed, zero Red-shouldereds

E. Bluebirds are along the river

I think we had 66 total species in the area we did.  An interesting mix..

Brush Freeman
361-655-7641 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas