[texbirds] Search for Common Crane today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 19:31:59 -0600

Greetings All:
Rich Kostecke and I spent a good chunk of time looking for the Common Crane
in Lamb County today.  We focused on the last location (CR 95 just south of
CR 282 - west of Bull Lake) and, as the ice and snow melted, located
roughly 15,000 to 20,000 Sandhill Cranes from the repeatedly driven loop of
CR 95, Beck Gin Road, FM 303, and FM 54.

We did NOT locate the Common Crane but, given the number of cranes and the
presence of crane-concealing dips in the preferred feeding site, could very
easily have missed the bird.

We did have, between the two of us, all three of the expected longspurs,
and I noted the presence of two Rusty Blackbirds in the huge flock of
blackbirds in the stock area just south of Beck.  Rich had a Ring-billed
Gull (not easy to find in Lamb County) at Bull Lake and we both saw a
Prairie Falcon from the Bull Lake overlook.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock