[texbirds] Seadrift, Port O'Connor etc. Golden-fronted Woodpecker

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:05:33 -0600

Made a run over to Seadrift from Port O'Connor.  It was pretty slow but
admit I did not get out in many places.  Did Old Cemery Rd. to make the
loop back to POC.  Evidently a wave of Purple Martins came in last night or
yesterday evening as there were 8 at the Hockey's early this morning but
they did not overnight and were soon gone. Elsewhere in town they also
showed an increase.
 I reckon my "best" bird was the Golden-fronted Woodpecker at Seadrift.
Usually one has to go across the river to Tivola (Refugio Co.) to get
them.  They can be considered rare in Calhoun Co.

  One flock of geese was encountered numbering about 100 (3 species but
only 4 White-fronteds) as well as several groups of Sandhills.  Swan Point
was pretty dead except for 46 Long-billed Cranes, a few Couch's Kingbirds
and a singing Bewick's Wren.  The town is alive with clattering Boat-tailed
Grackles..  A Vermilion Flycatcher was near the cemetery in Seadrift.

  Had one male N. Harrier and big flocks of Am. Robins.  I am sure I am
forgetting something.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621