[texbirds] Scaly-breasted Munia

  • From: Philip Rostron <philiprostron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:40:33 -0500

I wish we could get rid of that awful name Nutmeg Mannikin for Lonchura
punctulata but, unfortunately, AOU persists with that name.  None of the
recent field guides for the regionin which the bird is native use that
old name. Even AOU has dropped Mannikin for the other Asian Lonchura (eg
TricoloredMunia and Chestnut Munia).  Why it still uses Nutmeg Mannikin
when the rest of the world calls the bird Scaly-breasted Munia is beyond me.
--- end of rant ---
Phil Rostron (world birder currently in Smithville).